Friday, January 13, 2012

My first food memory

I grew up traveling the world, living in a different country every year or two so I was exposed to world food from the start. 

My first actual food memory is from when I was 4 years old. I was living in Uganda and I was helping our housekeeper gather great big grasshoppers to make a traditional Ugandan soup. Thanks to wikipedia I now know they were Nsenene or  long-horned grasshoppers  and that it was traditional for children to help collect the grasshoppers.

Grasshoppers are high in protein so I imagine a Nsenene soup would be low-carb but I could not find a recipe. Add that to the todo list.

I remember them being huge, slow and easy to find in our back yard. I remember watching her cook the soup in a big black pot and I remember its taste vividly; they tasted like grass but crunchy.

I was clearly more interested in the hunt and the gross factor but there it is, my first food memory.. whats yours?